May is Mental Health Awareness Month May 21, 2019
Because it’s never too late… e-resources with accessible Mental Health information, support and treatment options.
1. Help is Here, Resource Directory for Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster and Westchester counties created by the Council on Addiction Prevention and Education (CAPE) of Dutchess County – http://capedc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/resource-directory.pdf .
2. Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Mental Health – https://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/ .
3. U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) – the “Find Treatment” tab – https://www.samhsa.gov/find-treatment .
a. Read the following article: Mental Health Awareness Month: Focusing On Suicide Prevention Strategies For Our Youth
published by SAMHSA May 7, 2019.
4. Consider reading the National Institute of Health (NIH) on Drug Abuse: Advancing Addiction Science DrugFacts publication “Comorbidity: Substance Use Disorders and Other Mental Illnesses”
a. Also search terms like “Opioids .”
5. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Help, Resources and Information, NATIONAL OPIOIDS CRISIS – https://www.hhs.gov/opioids/ for resources available on opioid and prescription drug addiction.
6. Facing Addiction with National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD) — https://www.facingaddiction.org/ to find information, support and treatment facilities in the United States.
7. ThinkDIFFERENTLY, Service Provider Search Engine — https://www.thinkdifferently.net/services/
The ThinkDIFFERENTLY Service Provider includes a number of the following invaluable resources as well as many others in their user-friendly Search Engine:
8. Catholic Charities: Community Services of Dutchess County – https://catholiccharities-dutchesscounty.org/
9. Hudson Valley LGBTQ Community Center – http://lgbtqcenter.org/
10. Mental Health America (MHA) – http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/
11. Mental Health Association in New York State, Inc. (MHANYS) –
12. National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Mid-Hudson –
13. People USA – https://people-usa.org/
14. Taconic Resources for Independence: Advocating for Inclusive Communities – https://taconicresources.org/
The meetings of the Morton Board are held on the first Thursday of every month at 5:30 p.m.
January 3, 2019, February 12, 2019, March 7, 2019, April 4, 2019, May 2, 2019, June 6, 2019, August 1, 2019, September 5, 2019, October 3, 2019, November 7, 2019, December 5, 2019.
The library has expanded services with a new digital collection website experience just for kids. The main MHLS Digital Download Collection now has a separate site to provide a safe and easy browsing experience for kids.
Libraries recognize the need to provide a safe environment for kids to browse library materials. Just as the children’s section of the physical library has its own place, the same experience is now available in the digital collection for kids eBooks and audiobooks. Browsing can be done by subject, reading level or interest level. Check out the Kid’s eReading Room.